Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

My poor kitty

Now that Nuit's bladder issues have finally cleared up (let's hear it for glucosamine!), we took her in for her massively-overdue shots yesterday.

A few hours after she got back home, she became incredibly lethargic. Would sit up to turn over, but wasn't walking anywhere, wasn't eating or drinking, and wasn't reacting at a normal level to me - she'd look at me, twitch an ear, but wouldn't shift around me or grab at my hand.

Ok, I figured. Maybe she's just worn out from the vet visit, or maybe it's like humans get after a flu shot, and she'll be back to normal in the morning.

Nope - in the morning she was still lethargic, if very slightly more alert. She actually started to walk around a little bit around noon, but we took her back into the vet anyway. (I knew she still wasn't feeling well when she didn't even resist being put into the carrier!)

Turned out she was having an allergic reaction to the vaccines, and running a fever of 103.5 (normal for cats is 102). The vet gave her an antihistamine, a steroid, and some fluids, and kept her for a few hours for observation.

On her return home, she ravenously gobbled down some food, and is now bathing furiously - in short, she's acting much more like her usual self.

Interestingly, this means that short of the every-three-years legally required rabies vaccine, it's probably best now not to vaccinate her at all. (Which in turn pretty much guarantees that she's never going to be an outdoor cat, no matter where we live.)



( 2 comments — Leave a comment )
Jan. 7th, 2006 05:16 am (UTC)
Awww. poor kitty. I had to bring one of mine to the vet today too. Every now and then he has an allergic reaction to we don't know what and he'll scratch away a patch of fur on his back and it'll be bloody. He's got asthma too. The vet said it's common that if it has one, it'll have the other...
Jan. 7th, 2006 04:42 pm (UTC)
I sympathize, Sable's in the same boat. When he has to get his rabies shot, I have to give him prednisone the night and the morning of the appointment, the vet gives him a shot of Benadryl, then we take care of Hex while we wait for that to kick in. After he gets his shot, I stay at the vet for another half hour or so to make sure he doesn't react. That evening I give him more prednisone, just in case.

Then again, Sable's reaction was a bit more violent - he started throwing up soon as we got home, and didn't stop till the vet gave him the meds. Poor baby.
( 2 comments — Leave a comment )


firesea: self-portrait
Heather Keith Freeman
Fire Sea Studios

Latest Month

October 2012


Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Naoto Kishi