?

Log in

No account? Create an account

Previous Entry | Next Entry

Gas fireplaces

Gah.

Ok, so we have a gas fireplace. It's chilly tonight, so we turned it on for a while. There was a bit of smell of oil, but nothing rotten-egg like so I didn't think it was a problem.

After about an hour, I had a headache, was falling asleep, and was so braindead I couldn't put two words together. This in itself is not terribly unusual for me, but the suddenness and strength of it was. I pulled myself together enough to turn off the fireplace, and after about 15 minutes I pretty much fine again.

It didn't seem to affect Andrei at all, which is odd.

A quick Goggle consultation told me that apparently new gas fireplaces (as ours is; it had never been on for more than a few seconds at a time before tonight) will smell 'weird' for about the first 10 hours of use.

Smelling weird is one thing; causing a dangerous degree of brain malfunction is something else. And I don't like it.

Edit: mostly fine. Still dropping words and making odd typos. But getting better as time goes on. Leaving errors for future reference just in case.

Tags:

Comments

slq
Nov. 28th, 2005 05:15 pm (UTC)
Those are classic symptoms of carbon-monoxide poisoning. Carbon monoxide is odorless, so it has nothing to do with the smell. The number one thing to check is whether the flue is open in the chimney. That's the most-often overlooked cause. If that's not it, then have it checked by the gas company or an appliance repair company. And do invest in a carbon monoxide detector.

Profile

firesea: self-portrait
jnanacandra
Heather Keith Freeman
Fire Sea Studios

Latest Month

October 2012
S M T W T F S
 123456
78910111213
14151617181920
21222324252627
28293031   

Tags

Page Summary

Powered by LiveJournal.com
Designed by Naoto Kishi